Explore Japan on foot
Discover the rich culture of Japan
Located between Kyushu and Okinawa; Amami Oshima has preserved is intact culture. Most people do not take time to explore this island making it one of the most isolated places in Japan. With subtropical climate and a small population this island offers great beaches, mangrove forests, delicious cuisine, museums, and the like. For romantics, you can visit the “Heart Rock of Amami” which is sure to make your relationship much stronger. While staying in Amami we invite you to taste the Keihan (the island’s most popular chicken rice dish). To explore the island we offer you two options: a rental car or guide and car. Speak to your Japan travel expert to arrange your stay in Amami Oshima.
This islands offers a number of different activities including:
- Exploring its Mangrove. This can be done with or without guide. Amami Oshima has the second largest mangrove forest in Japan
- Oshima Tsumugi silk. Come and learn about Oshima Tsumugi produced from white silk thread.
- Tanaka Isson Museum; a Paul Gauguin or Henri Rousseau in Japan.
- Beaches for bathing and snorkeling (Tomori Beach, Kurasaki Beach, Sakibaru Beach,…)
- Kinsakubaru Primeval Forest